1st Meeting of Steering Committee on Makli Hill Monuments Thatta
MINUTES OF 1ST MEETING OF STEERING COMMITTEE ON MAKLI HILL MONUMENTS THATTA HELD AT KARACHI.
1st Meeting of Steering Committee on Makli Hill Monuments Thatta was held under the Chairmanship of Director General (Antiquities & Archaeology), Culture, Tourism and Antiquities Department on 3rd April, 2018 at 12.00 p.m. in his office, Karachi. Following attended the meeting.
|1.||Mr. Manzoor Ahmad Kanasro
Director General(Antiquities & Archaeology)
|2.||Mr. Naseer Ahmed Narejo, Additional Secretary, Culture||Member|
|3.||Mr. Kazi Ayaz Mahessar, Representative UNESCO, Islamabad.||Member|
|4.||Mr. Rand Eppich (Conservation Architect Spain)||Member|
|5.||Mr. Georgios Toubekis (Conservation Architect-Germany)||Member|
|6.||Dr. Muhammad Ali Manjhi, Historian & Archaeologist||Member|
|7.||Dr. Prof. Qasid Hussain Mallah, Archaeologist||Member|
|8.||Mr. Roshan Ali Kanasro, Director P&D||Member|
|9.||Mr. Abdul Fatah Shaikh, Director Archaeology||Member|
|10.||Ms. Naheed Zahra, Director, Expl. Branch||Member|
|11.||Mr. Amar Fayaz Buriro (Consultant STDC)||Member|
|12.||Mr. Muhammad Tanveer, Asstt.Archl Engineer||Member|
- INTRODUCTION TO THE RESPONSIBILTIES AND MANDATES OF STEERING COMMITTEE
Mr. Manzoor Ahmed Kanasro, the chair welcomed all the participants and outlined the mandate and responsibilities of steering committee and highlighted the objectives of the meeting stating that steering committee was requirement of UNESCO.
Mr. Naseer Ahmed Narejo, Additional Secretary, Culture insisted that a member of District Administration may be included for better implementation of decisions of the steering committee.
Mr. Kazi Ayyaz Mahasser, Representative of UNESCO, Islamabad opined that the steering committee is competent to decide all the matters regarding the conservation and preservation of the site.
- REVIEW AND ASSESSMENT OF THE PROPOSALS RECEIVED OF THE CONSERVATION, PRESERVATIN AND RESTORATION OF THE SELECTED MONUMENTS AT MAKLI
Mr. Manzoor Ahmad Kanasro, Director General Antiquities and Archaeology briefed the committee that various proposals have been submitted by Heritage Foundation of Pakistan and Endowment Fund Trust for the conservation, preservation and restoration of selected monuments. He was of the opinion that all the proposals are vital for the preservation and conservation of Makli and have been considered at highest level of the Department and they will be encouraged to contribute to the magnificence of Makli Necropolis.
Mr. Tanwir Ahmed, Assistant Archaeological Engineer proposed that all the proposals on the Makli should be considered very carefully and most suitable to be selected for the work on the site.
Mr. Kazi Ayaz Mahessar, Representative UNESCO Islamabad seconded with the policy of the department for encouraging Non Governmental Organization (NGOs) for participating in the conservation of the Makli site and also pointed out that UNESCO specially encourages NGOs for conservation and preservation of archeological sites.
- DISCUSSION ON THE PRESERVATION OF JAM NIZAMUDDIN MAUSOLEUM IN THE LIHGT OF THE RECOMMNEDATIONS BY MATTHIAS BECKH, STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING, MUNICH, GERMANY
The chair signified the vitality of Jam Nizamuddin Monument and keeping in view of the structural condition of Jam Nizamuddin the study was conducted by Matthias Beckh, Structural Engineer with view to the consolidation of the structure of the monument as per original condition.
Mr. Naseer Ahmed Narejo, Additional Secretary, Culture department suggested that the report to be circulated amongst the experts so as to get the opinions before we work on the report.
Mr. Fayaz Amar Buriro, Consultant, STDC further suggested that the report should be placed on the web site for the general view. This suggestion was seconded by Mr. Muhammad Ali Manjhi, Historian and supported by Mr. Abdul Fatah Shaikh, Director of Archaeology and Museums Sindh.
- DISCUSION ON THE COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT FOR ADDRESSING THE ISSUES OF CONTEMPORARY BURIALS AT THE SITE.
The chair raised the issue of contemporary burials at the Makli site is very complex and old but needs to be resolved on the top priority basis.
Dr. Prof. Muhammad Ali Manjhi showed his willingness to mobilize the local community with a view to sensitizing to the issue of contemporary burials at the site.
- DISCUSSION ON ADDRESSING THE ENCROACHMENTS
Encroachment is a very serious threat that needs to be confronted with the iron hand understanding that it has survival of a world heritage site in Pakistan is at stake. Encroachment by way of settlements and new burials is an ongoing phenomenon at Makli. Along the Heritage site western border is the famous Jung-Shahi Road as well as urban development mostly residential.
Mr. Abdul Fatah Shaikh, Director Archaeology briefed about the encroachments on Western corridor as it presents the WHS with the most encroachment threat though within the site itself some areas have been taken over by the influential for present construction of houses. It is therefore imperative that encroachment around the site be removed immediately to secure and protect the integrity and authenticity of this site. This buffer zone has been proposed in the master Plan as a 200 wide belt all around the site boundary consistent with the Antiquities Act 1975 of Pakistan, Act VII (1976) Section 22.
After thorough discussion, following decisions were taken:
- A member of District Administration of Thatta will be included in the Steering Committee for better implementation of the decisions in the Committee.
- The Committee shall meet regularly.
- It has been decided to upload the report of Mr. Matthias Beckh, Structural Engineer on the official web site of Antiquities.
- It has been decided to mobilize the local community with the help of creation of the awareness of significance heritage amongst the local masses.
- It has been decided the law of the Antiquities and other laws of the land will be utilized fully to implement code of conduct as set by UNESCO for the Makli site.
- The Media campaign against the encroachment and the new burials on the Makli site will be started with full vigor.
- The Advertisement for the creation of awareness will be published in the top leading newspapers
- Symposium/workshop on the issue of the Makli site will be held in which stake holders will be invited.
- It has been decided to arrange the walk from Makli to City Thatta for better propagating the message of safeguarding the heritage.
- New burials shall not be allowed within the premises of historical monuments of Makli at any cost. However, new space shall be provided to local community nearby for the new burials in consultation with the local administration.
- Special lecture programme will be arranged in the local institution of Makli and Thatta for the better understanding of the local heritage.
- It has also been decided in case of violation of our law of Antiquities a petition will be filed in the court of law against the violators of sanctity of heritage.
- The Meeting ended with a vote of thanks to and from the chair.